This job opening has expired!
- Scot Forge Company
- Job Location
- Spring Grove, IL - Greater Chicago/Milwaukee Area
- 17 May 2012
- Expiry date
- 14 Sep 2012
- NDTcareers Ref No.
Final NDT Level II Inspector
The Scot Forge Company is headquartered in Spring Grove, IL with additional locations in Clinton, WI and Franklin Park, IL. This position is for our Spring Grove, IL production facility which is located between Milwaukee, WI and Chicago, IL.
Scot Forge is a 100% employee-owned manufacturer of custom open die and rolled ring forgings. Started as a small hammer shop in Chicago, IL in 1893, Scot Forge has over 100 years of experience, leading the industry as one of the most modern and respected forging companies in the world. Operating with over 1,000,000 square feet of manufacturing space, producing over 250 million pounds of forgings annually.
Scot Forge was the first North American open die forge shop to be certified to ISO 9001:2008 and enjoys a global reputation for quality and service. This fall, our Spring Grove facility is expected to be certified to AS9100C and soon after will be pursuing NDE NADCAP accreditation. Scot Forge produces forgings for the aerospace, defense, mining, oil field, shipbuilding, nuclear and power generation industries, as well as many others. Some commonly forged part applications for the above markets include high quality drive shafts, gear rims, pinions, couplings, sleeves, flanges, hubs, rams, cylinder rods, tube sheets, heat exchanger bodies, ship shafts, rudder stock and suspension components.
Our leadership team is instrumental in driving a lean culture and appetite for change in every area of our plants and in every function in our organization. We have a firm commitment to lean manufacturing and continuous improvement in our business processes. All activities are linked to providing customer value through improved levels of technical, quality, delivery service and responsiveness.
Scot Forge Company offers a competitive and comprehensive wage and benefits package, including;
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Company Sponsored Life, Short and Long Term Disability Coverage
- 401K Plan with Annual Company Match
- Bi-Annual Profit Sharing Bonus Plan
- Company Sponsored Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement and Educational Bonus
To perform in-process and final inspections on forged parts to assure compliance with Scot Forge Company’s quality system, specifications and customer requirements for industrial and military/aerospace products to ensure our customers get the highest quality and on-time delivery.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Determines conformance of parts and materials to specifications.
- Identify and control all nonconforming products.
- Conduct inspection on complex machined parts and forgings per blueprint, manufacturing outline, Customer’s specifications and customer requirements utilizing various types of inspection equipment set up.
- Document inspection results in accordance with company procedures and work instructions.
- Review of NDT certifications against specification requirements.
- Receives instructions from work orders and engineering specifications, build documents, manufacturing processes, standard procedure, or other approved product descriptions.
- Verifies suitability of process plans and tooling to assure compliance to engineering requirements or approved specifications.
- Furnishes necessary information and assistance to responsible departments for preparation of process plans, process reviews, audits, test procedures, etc.
- Uses level III approved NDT Inspection procedures and/or customer specifications.
- Sets up and verifies the calibration of tools and devices to conduct inspection.
- Performs local etching as required to aid inspection per manufacturing process and engineering drawing requirements.
- Performs liquid penetrant inspections ensuring that penetrant materials used are compatible with the material being inspected, that the type and method and sensitivity or the penetrant, developers, emulsifiers and removers are of the correct type to ensure proper inspection results as required by the acceptance/rejection criteria.
- Performs magnetic particle inspection, determining that the part of material is ferromagnetic and that the part is inspected with adequate magnetic field strength and proper field orientation to ensure maximum percentage defect detection capability.
- Performs ultrasonic inspection determining internal soundness of forgings per the customer requirements and specifications.
- Interpret, evaluate and documents results in accordance with applicable standards, specifications and procedures.
- Reports inspection test results per applicable codes, standards and specifications.
- Accepts or rejects products based upon conformance to the preceding.
- Conducts required pre-cleaning, post-cleaning and proper handling of materials and parts being inspected.
- Reports all equipment malfunctions and equipment due for calibration to the Inspection Supervisor.
- Performs required functional tests and maintains documentation/records as required.
- Keeps test equipment work area clean and orderly.
- May be assigned to work in other areas.
- Instructs and directs the work of lower NDT classified employees.
- High ethical standards. Models and supports organization’s goals and values; adapts to changing conditions; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- The ability to prioritize, balance, and manage multiple efforts with strong results/goal orientation. Uses time effectively, prioritizes and organizes work flow; can orchestrate multiple activities at once. Agility and personal adaptability with the ability to successfully management multiple priorities with a high sense of urgency in a rapidly changing environment.
- Solid analytical skills and solution-driven thinking; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data. Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; develops alternative solutions; works well in a group problem solving situations; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention; displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work.
- Learns quickly when facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learner; open to change; strives for continuous improvement of self and processes.
- Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy; enjoys challenges; drives for results. Versatility, flexibility and a wiliness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills with the ability to convey information and ideas in a variety of media, tactful, confident, at all levels, internal and external.
- Passion for data, analysis, trends, reporting and technology. Ability to read and interpret documents. Ability to write clearly and informatively routine reports, correspondence, and designs work flows and procedures. Presents numerical data effectively.
- Knowledge of aerospace quality standards including AS9100, ISO9001:2008 and NADCAP.
- Strong problem solving skills aimed at identifying and correcting the root causes of problems or events, as opposed to merely addressing the immediately obvious symptoms.
- Proficient Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) computer skills.
- High energy level, comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with normal activities.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others and impact change.
- Effective planning and organizational skills.
- Participative leadership style – advocates team concept.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills. Ability to get along well with diverse personalities – tactful – mature – flexible.
- Ability to establish credibility and be decisive – but able to recognize and support the organization’s preferences and priorities.
- Results- and profit-oriented with the ability to balance other business considerations.
- Possess drive and desire to become Level III Inspector.
- High School Education.
- Must have MT, PT and UT Certifications.
- Minimum 5 years experience in Quality Assurance/Quality Inspection with Aerospace and Defense knowledge and experience with NDT inspections.
- US Person only (US citizens, Lawful permanent residents all require proper identification and documentation).
- Pre-Employment Verifications: Must pass background and reference checks, drug screen, and physical examination prior to employment. We are an E-Verify participant.
- Production work environment.
- Overtime and weekends are mandatory.